Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a campsite speed limit?
Yes. A maximum of five miles per hour. We are a family campsite and children are often playing, obviously they are unaware of traffic. A slow speed is essential.

Where can I find reception?
As you enter the campsite there is a blue barn on the right of the trail, containing the ablution block at the northern end. The other side of that barn is our BIG table under a canopy, That is reception area.

How will other members of staff know I have paid my fee?
A wristband will be issued / fitted which indicates your last night of sleep. These must be worn. Any damaged ones can be replaced on surrender for a new one. They are waterproof and robust enough to last most camping durations.

When is considered your quite time?
At nine thirty P.M. we consider that those campers who wish to stay around their fire till later will be talking quietly and ensuring those that wish to sleep can do so uninterrupted.

Can I play music before quite time?
Yes. As long it is no interruption to other campers.
Nine P.M. is our cut off time for music. After eleven P.M. It becomes noise pollution and illegal.

Can I pay in advance to ensure I have a place to camp?
Yes. A card payment or B.A.C.S. transfer can be made for payment in full. Should you wish to cancel your booking one calendar month or more prior to your arrival date, fifty per cent of the total fee can be refunded.

What activities or places of interest are near by?
On site, are Hereford kayak and Canoe hire. 07747 837554

Conveniently situated at Hay-on-Wye for a six hour trip to our campground is Want to Canoe. 01497 820604

Hereford Climbing Centre

Westonbury Mill Water Gardens 01544388650

Rowlestone Farmhouse Ice Cream 01981 240322

Hergest Croft Gardens 01544 230160

Llangorse Activity Centre. Natural rock climbing, climbing walls, bouldering,
rope bridges, caving, abseiling, zip line, horse riding in the Brecon Beacons, Black Mountains and Llangorse Lake. 0333 600 2020

Apple County Cider Company, tasting. 01600 750835

Oakchurch Country Department Store and Garden Centre. 01981 500125

Small Breeds Farm and Owl Centre. 01544 231109

Hampton Court Castle Gardens and Parklands. 01568 797777

Ralph Court Gardens. 01885 483225

Monkland Cheese Dairy 01568 720307

Drovers Cycles Bike Hire. Hay-on-Wye. 01497 822419

Westons Cider Visitor Centre 01531 660108

Hay Gallery Trail The Hay Makers

The Lion Street Gallery

The Table

The Globe

Brook Street Pottery 01497 821070

Brecon Mountain Railway 01685 722988

Newent Birds of Prey 01531

Oakerwood Activity and Leisure Centre. 0156878011

Tintern Cistercian Abbey 01291 689251

Go Ape Forest Adventure 0845 5198029

Can I have a fire in the orchard?
Yes, in an existing burnt place, we sell locally produced English kiln dried hardwood. Unfortunately you may not bring your own wood, as often it is scrap wood with nails, screws, hinges etc. in it. These debris left in the fire places cause flats and punctures in own mowing apparatus.

Can I bring a dog?
Well behave dogs on a leash are welcome. Any waste must be bagged and disposed of in a trash can.

Are there pitches?
There are no set pitches, sometimes an area may be roped off for larger family groups.

Can I just arrive and set up camp if I can’t find a member of staff?

Can I reserve a place to camp?
You may request this at least two week in advance. The decision will be made on availability.

Do you sell food?
Our store sells local produced sausages, bacon and burgers. Sliced bread and rolls, often both frozen. Also dry goods, such as corn and potato chips, canned goods, biscuits and confectionary. Some pharmaceuticals such as pain relief, insect bite relief, sanitary products, soap and teeth cleaning & body wash. We also stock a small variety of gas for cooking stoves.

Where is it permitted and legal to drink alcohol?                                                                                      Only alcohol purchased on site maybe consumed in the cafe or beer garden. The beer garden is directly outside the cafe and Oak Tree Table, clearly hedged and gated. No alcohol is to be consumed outside the ablution block or dish washing sinks.

Do you sell Alcohol?
Yes. Local ciders, wines and beers are sold along side more globally produced products. Also, milk, soft drinks and water.

Where is the nearest pub or store to buy food or eat?
Our store sells local produced sausages, bacon and burgers. Sliced bread and rolls, often both frozen. Also dry goods, such as corn and potato chips, canned goods, biscuits and confectionary. There is a village store in Madley, approximately four miles away, which in addition to our store sells fruit and vegetables. Hay-on-Wye, a fair sized interesting town is nine miles to the west. With a large array of individual stores and a large Co-Op. Hereford is twelve mile to the east and has all of the large brand stores there.

Do you cater, i.e. breakfasts, lunch, packed lunch, evening meals?
The standard breakfast consists of bacon, sausage and egg, in any combination in a roll.
With at least one week notice, we can accommodate vegetarian and vegan, if the time allows at the time of preparation.
Packed lunch can be arranged with at least two weeks notice.
The basic evening meal consist of a beef burger and fries, with an option of cheese and bacon to be added.
Often at weekends, or by request a curry and or chili can be made available.

Do you have showers and toilets?
There are two hot, coin operated showers, and five toilet cubicles in both female and male ablution blocks. Further more, two private toilets that may be used by either sex. In-between these toilets is one uni sex shower. Also coin operated the same as the main block.

Do you charge for launching and is there a specific place for this?
Launch or retrieval incurs a fee if not associated with camping.
We have a dedicated, off road hard standing, outside of the campsite where loading and unloading can be carried out, without hindering the access to the campsite entrance. Next to this is a metal canoe ramp and steps to access the steep bank.

Can I bring a hammock?
No. Hammocks are not permitted in the orchard as the trees are very old, and any kind of sling can damage the bark,

Do you take caravans?
By prior arrangement, our regular planning regulation from the council does not permit everyday touring caravans.

Can I park a vehicle without camping?
Yes. It does incur a fee. It is in our dedicated parking lot, which has hard surface access.

Do you have a family field away from the river, if so, can I have a fire there?
Yes, With prior notification, or at our discretion a flat field is available. Fires are permitted on raised apparatus. We rent out braziers on a daily basis, with a cash refundable deposit on return of the brazier and your proof of deposit paid.

Do you have a campers kitchen, drying room, laundry facility?
No, unfortunately not at this time.

Do you have a freezer for my cold box gel blocks?
No, unfortunately not at this time.

Do you have wifi?
No, unfortunately not at this time.

Do you have electrical hook up points, or a place to charge cell phones etc?
Unfortunately we do not have hookups. However we are willing to allow you to charge cell phone etc. after a donation has been made to our local charity box.

Do you allow aircraft to land?
Yes. by prior notification at least two weeks before the landing date.

Do you have canoe hire facility?
Yes. Run by a separate company on our site. Sam 07747837554

Do you take hen / stag parties

Do you take groups of the same sex?
With at least two weeks notification, consideration will be given on wether they will be given permission.

Do you have a time we have to be off site?
No. If campers or day visitors are still on site at three P.M. on their day of departure it will be assumed they are staying the night and further wrist bands must be purchased and worn. However on Sundays or public holidays we appreciate it if  you are off site by two P.M.

Can I arrive after dark or later than nine P.M?
Yes. However we insist that you park briefly, outside of the campsite, in the canoe loading facility, to find a member of staff, firstly either at reception, or at the farm house. Then advise can be give as to your best camping area with minimal disruption to other campers.
If no staff can be found, if daylight please walk the site to find a place. Or if dark, camp as close to the entrance gate as possible.
Don’t forget we are a family site and there are children camping.

Do you have a communal area?
Yes. We have the ‘BIG table’ where many solo campers and couples come and share our huge fire bowl with us!

Do you have a chemical waste disposal facility?
No. As our septic tanks work on a biological breakdown system. Any anti bacterial chemicals will kill the ecological system.

Are you able to take general camping trash?                                                                                                 Yes. However it must be bagged and placed in the provided trash cans. PLEASE ensure ALL liquids are drained before disposal. ANY unwanted or broken folding chairs, tents, stoves, sleeping bags and mattresses must not be abandoned on the campsite. We have much greater trouble than you in disposing of them.

What kind of campsite do you consider yourselves to be?
We are a family and river activity camp ground.

Can the props supporting the older trees be removed and used as seats or firewood?
No. They are there for a reason. And no wood must be sourced from the campsite or river bank.

Do you charge for babies in arms?
Yes. All persons under twelve incur our child fee for camping. Obviously while they do not use the toilet facilities per se, we still have to deal with the raw sewage in our trash compacting, and when they are found blocking the sewage system and shower cubicles.